The Wisconsin State Genealogical Society invites proposals for our 2018 series of genealogy webinars. The webinars are produced using GoToWebinar software, and are held on the third Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. Central time.
The Society is particularly interested in proposals with content relating to Wisconsin and upper Midwest resources, including ethnic groups prominent in Wisconsin such as German, Polish, Scandinavian, French Canadian, Yankee, Czech, and Irish.
We encourage proposals on a wide range of topics in three broad types:
- “How-To” lectures dealing with various types of genealogical resources, including:
- Land and tax records for Wisconsin/the Midwest
- Midwest church and cemetery records
- Court records
- Immigration and naturalization records
- Migration patterns
- Midwest libraries and archives
- Church and cemetery records
- Maps and Midwest geography
- Webinars demonstrating current and emerging technologies such as:
- Software for organizing and analyzing genealogical information such as Evernote, Mind Maps, and Evidentia
- Effective use of specific online sites such as FamilySearch, Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast, etc.
- Social media tools
- Lectures on methodology and problem-solving case studies, particularly with a Midwest/Wisconsin focus.
Audience: Our audience includes genealogists of all skill levels. Ideally presentations should include content for all levels. Please indicate audience skill level in your proposal—Beginner, Beginner/Intermediate, Intermediate, Intermediate/Advanced, Advanced, or All.
Format: WSGS uses GoToWebinar for webinar delivery. Webinars are scheduled for one hour. The preferred format is a lecture of 45 to 50 minutes, with the remainder of the time for audience questions. Lectures should be illustrated using PowerPoint or a similar compatible slide presentation program. Live webinars are free and open to all. Recorded webinars are archived in the Members Only section of our website.
Webinar dates for 2018 are:
January 16th February 20th March 20th April 17th May 15th June 19th July 17th August 21st September 18th October 16th November 20th December 18th
Handout: Speakers will provide a 2-4 page PDF handout two weeks prior to the webinar.
Compensation: WSGS offers an honorarium of $100 to presenters after completion of the webinar. Because we are a small non-profit striving to provide an array of quality webinars, waiving part of or the entire honorarium helps ensure continuation of our webinar series.
Submission Requirements: Submit your proposals no later than October 1, 2017, on the WSGS webinar proposal form. If you have a preference for months, please indicate that. Use a separate form for each lecture you submit. After completing the form, please save it FIRST with your name and lecture title. and then e-mail it to the address below. If you have trouble with the form, please contact Anne at the same address for assistance.
: Please direct questions about the webinars or the call for proposals to Anne Kasuboski at firstname.lastname@example.org