You've hunted for years looking for any clue that could help to fill in your family's history. Then, by sheer coincidence, you learn about a rarely used, but available resource that could help you break down your brick walls. Join us! We'll introduce you to a variety of untapped resources that can help advance your family research.
REGISTRATION IS OPEN -- Learn more at: https://conference.wsgs.org
March 2019 Webinar
Is Great-Grandmother Really Native American? An Introduction to Native American Genealogical Research
- Presenter: Janice Lovelace
- Date: Tuesday, March 19, 2019
- Time: 7:00 PM CST
- Webinar Description: Many families have the oral history that an ancestor was Native American. How does a family researcher begin to discover if this is true? What federal, state and tribal records are available?
- Register at: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7626238334278423043
After registering, you will receive an email with information and a link to join us the night of the webinar and handout information. Please remember that this is a first come first served webinar. Registering does not hold a spot for you. Those that log in first will be admitted to the webinar. If you have problems connecting to the software, be sure to check that your browser software is running the most current version available.
February 2019 Webinar
Introduction to a Surname Study
- Presenter: Julie Goucher
- Date: Tuesday, February 19, 2019
- Time: 7:00 PM CST
- Webinar Description: In this presentation we will explore what a surname study is and then look at the approaches to begin and construct a study. Identifying the likely size of such a study, geographical distribution of the surname and where to look to understand the history of surnames. We then move onto the practical elements of a study, where to keep data, how to gather it and feature some of the "quick wins." We then explore analysing and synthising the data gathered. We discuss sharing, advertising and promoting the study so that you can hopefully connect with others and then focus on incorporating DNA projects into a surname project as another research tool.
To those of you who were on tonight's webinar with Julie Goucher, we apologize for the all of the technical difficulties. Julie lost power during a severe storm in her area, which was probably what was also causing the audio issues. She will be sending us a copy of her slides and a clean recording which we can post on our website. Thank you for your patience.
Have you checked out the WSGS Store?
Our Products Make Great Gifts for Your Genealogy Friends and Yourself!
Visit our online store today for these and more WSGS products!
You also can help the Society out by checking out the Support WSGS page!
Find Us on Facebook Too!
GoodSearch and GoodShop with WSGS
Did you know that you can help raise money for WSGS by simply searching and shopping online through our GoodSearch and GoodShop interface? See the GoodSearch
page for more details!