November 2021 Webinar
Norwegian Naming Customs Pre- and Post-Immigration
- Presenter: Dana Kelly, Norwegian American Genealogical Center - Naeseth Library
- Date: Tuesday, November 16, 2021
- Time: 7:00 PM Central
- Webinar Description: Norwegians often followed a very specific naming pattern during the 1700s and 1800s that genealogists can take advantage of to grow their family trees. This webinar will include examples of common first and last name customs. Since Norwegian families didn’t typically have an inherited surname prior to the 1920s, this webinar will discuss the misunderstandings many researchers have about Norwegian last names by explaining the patronymic naming system and the farm name Norwegians often used as a last name. We will explain how patronymics and farm names worked in conjunction with each other and how those different traditions played out in the United States after immigrants arrived and had to adapt to the American surname system. We will discuss how some customs differ from our contemporary traditions and the common misconceptions genealogists have when beginning to search for their Norwegian ancestors.
- Registration: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/776927422244792590
In Memory of the Peshtigo Fire
The Sky Was Brass, The Earth Was Ashes: The Great Peshtigo Fire
By special permission of the lecturer, Karen Vincent Humiston, WSGS has now posted her talk from last spring's 2021 Gene-A-Rama Conference, The Sky Was Brass, The Earth Was Ashes: The Great Peshtigo Fire, in the Members-Only area. Members can log in and find it on the 2021 Webinar Recordings page.
We hope you enjoy this new member benefit!
Check Out the 2021 WSGS Webinar Series!
The Wisconsin State Genealogical Society is proud to present our 2021 Webinar series! The lineup features some of your favorite webinar presenters from the past, as well as several new speakers, covering a wide variety of topics including resources, methodology, tools, various ethnic groups, and how to prepare for the release of the 1950 U.S. Federal Census!
DNA Boot Camp
WSGS is proud to present a series of webinars available to members on our website, the
DNA Boot Camp Webinar Series
Mary Eberle and Thomas MacEntee
The DNA Boot Camp is a series of 12 webinars giving a basic introduction to genetic genealogy, discussing some of the most popular websites currently being used, and how to use DNA as evidence in your research. The webinars include:
• Introduction to Using DNA for Genealogy Research
• Using Autosomal DNA for Genealogy Research
• GEDMatch — Powerful Tools for Analyzing DNA Results and Finding New DNA Matches
• Combining DNA and Non-DNA Evidence — A Case Study
• Using X-DNA for Genealogical Research
• X-DNA Case Studies
• Interpreting Your AncestryDNA Results
• AncestryDNA Hands-On Exercises
• Intepreting Your FamilyTreeDNA Results
• Interpreting Your 23andMe Results
• Researching Difficult DNA Matches
• Understanding Ethnicity Estimates
To access the DNA Boot Camp, log into your WSGS member account and a link will be available under the Webinars tab.
We hope you enjoy this membership benefit!
Have you checked out the WSGS Store?
Our Products Make Great Gifts for Your Genealogy Friends and Yourself!
Visit our online store today for these and more WSGS products!
You also can help the Society out by checking out the Support WSGS page!
Find Us on Facebook!
GoodShop with WSGS
Did you know that you can help raise money for WSGS by simply searching and shopping online through our GoodShop interface? See the GoodShop
page for more details!
PO Box 5106
Madison, WI 53705-0106